Saturday, July 19, 2014

Why I Use Music Learning Theory

I've been trained in multiple approaches, including MLT, Kodaly approaches to music literacy, and Level I certification for Orff.  I draw from each of these methods in my classroom, but primarily refer to MLT for my sequencing of instruction. 

Here's why I use Music Learning Theory as my primary method:

·      MLT is research-based; administrators AND I love that :)
·      It includes excellent ways to assess and collect data on students
·      It differentiates instruction based on students' unique aptitudes
·      It develops skills in a sequential way
·      It helps students to develop their musical ear in a way that actually increases their musical aptitude for the rest of their lives
·      It's satisfying to my musicianship; I’d much rather sing in Mixolydian than sing SOL-MI songs!
·      Most importantly, what I’ve seen my students accomplish in just one year at my schools has been incredible.


Here's some of the HUGE student growth I've already seen through using MLT:

  •   1st grade aptitude:  
In October of this past school year, 29% of my 1st graders tested in the top 20% of kids their age for tonal aptitude. In May, 49% of my 1st graderes tested in the top 20% of kids their age for tonal aptitude. So after just 1 year of instruction with MLT, HALF of my students scored in the top 20% of kids their age for tonal music aptitude!!

·       1st grade singing voice:  

Using research-based techniques to measure and develop students' singing voices, 100% of my 1st graders had found singing voice and improved in their singing voice range by the end of the school year.  See the bottom of this post for videos!!!


·      2nd-3rd grade discoveries:  
I LOVE when students start transferring their knowledge to new songs. 2nd and 3rd graders would hear a brand new song, or even mention a song they heard over the weekend at a sports game, and ask if it was in duple meter, because they heard DU-DE as microbeats. And more often than not, they’d be correct!
  • 3rd-4th graders’ achievement at 2 different schools:
This past year I taught at 2 schools, and 3rd-4th graders at one of the schools had had MLT instruction the year before, but 3rd-4th graders at the other school had not.
The students who HAD had MLT were able to sing in tune, even in 4-PART ROUNDS (yes, in 3rd grade!!), read rhythms in 4/4 and 6/8 very easily, and hear the difference between I and V chords. The students who had NOT had MLT the year before had a little more trouble with each of those skills.
  • Kindergarten accomplishments:
By about March, my kindergarteners, whom I’d only taught since the beginning of kindergarten, could read rhythms in 4/4; they could chant in 5/8, 6/8, and 7/8; and they could sing the resting tone, patterns, and short songs in multiple tonalities.  It is SO awesome what MLT can do...I’m hooked. J

No comments:

Post a Comment